|Following are examples of the tasks
required for a janitor or cleaner position. For more detailed
information including knowledge, skills, abilities, work activities,
work context, job zone, interests, work values, work needs, and related
occupations, visit the O*Net web site at http://online.onetcenter.org/report?r=1&id=597.
- Clean building floors by sweeping, mopping,
scrubbing, or vacuuming them.
- Gather and empty trash.
- Service, clean, and supply restrooms.
- Clean and polish furniture and fixtures.
- Clean windows, glass partitions, and mirrors, using
soapy water or other cleaners, sponges, and squeegees.
- Dust furniture, walls, machines, and equipment.
- Make adjustments and minor repairs to heating,
cooling, ventilating, plumbing, and electrical systems.
- Mix water and detergents or acids in containers to
prepare cleaning solutions, according to specifications.
- Steam-clean or shampoo carpets.
- Strip, seal, finish, and polish floors.
- Clean and restore building interiors damaged by fire,
smoke, or water, using commercial cleaning equipment.
- Clean chimneys, flues, and connecting pipes, using
power and hand tools.
- Clean laboratory equipment, such as glassware and
metal instruments, using solvents, brushes, rags, and power cleaning
- Drive vehicles required to perform or travel to
cleaning work, including vans, industrial trucks, or industrial
- Follow procedures for the use of chemical cleaners
and power equipment, in order to prevent damage to floors and
- Monitor building security and safety by performing
such tasks as locking doors after operating hours and checking
electrical appliance use to ensure that hazards are not created.
- Move heavy furniture, equipment, and supplies, either
manually or by using hand trucks.
- Mow and trim lawns and shrubbery, using mowers and
hand and power trimmers, and clear debris from grounds.
- Notify managers concerning the need for major repairs
or additions to building operating systems.
- Remove snow from sidewalks, driveways, and parking
areas, using snowplows, snow blowers, and snow shovels, and spread
snow melting chemicals.
- Requisition supplies and equipment needed for
cleaning and maintenance duties.
- Set up, arrange, and remove decorations, tables,
chairs, ladders, and scaffolding to prepare facilities for events
such as banquets and meetings.
- Spray insecticides and fumigants to prevent insect
and rodent infestation.