|Following are examples of the tasks
required for a machinery maintenance worker. For more detailed
information including knowledge, skills, abilities, work activities,
work context, job zone, interests, work values, work needs, and related
occupations, visit the O*Net web site at
- Sets up and operates machine and
adjusts controls that regulate operational functions to ensure
conformance to specifications.
- Lubricates, oils, or applies
adhesive, or other material to machines, machine parts, or other
equipment, according to specified procedures.
- Starts machine and observes
mechanical operation to determine efficiency and to detect defects,
malfunctions, or other machine damage.
- Installs, replaces, or changes
machine parts and attachments, according to production
- Replaces or repairs metal, wood,
leather, glass, or other lining in machine or equipment compartments
- Dismantles machine, removes
machine parts, and reassembles machine, using hand tools, chain
falls, jack, crane, or hoist.
- Cleans machine and machine parts,
using cleaning solvent, cloth, air gun, hose, vacuum, or other
- Removes hardened material from
machine or machine parts, using abrasives, power and hand tools,
jackhammer, sledgehammer, or other equipment.
- Collects and discards worn machine
parts and other garbage to maintain machinery and work areas.
- Transports machine parts, tools,
equipment and other material between work areas and storage, using
crane, hoist, or dolly.
- Inventories and requisitions
machine parts, equipment, and other supplies to replenish and
- Records and maintains production,
repair, and machine maintenance information.
- Marks, separates, ties, aligns,
threads, attaches, or inserts material or product preparatory to
machine operation or to identify machine process.
- Measures, mixes, prepares and
tests chemical solutions used to clean or repair machinery and
equipment, according to product specifications.
- Communicates with or assists other
workers to repair or move machines, machine parts or equipment.
- Replaces, empties, or replenishes
empty machine and equipment containers, such as gas tanks or boxes.
- Reads work orders and
specifications to determine machines and equipment requiring repair
- Cuts, shapes, smoothes, attaches
or assembles pieces of metal, wood, rubber, or other material repair
and maintenance machines and equipment.
- Inspects or tests damaged machine
parts and marks defective area or advises supervisor of need for