|Following are examples of the tasks
required for a secretarial position. For more detailed
information including knowledge, skills, abilities, work activities,
work context, job zone, interests, work values, work needs, and related
occupations, visit the O*Net web site at
- Answer telephones and give information to callers,
take messages, or transfer calls to appropriate individuals.
- Arrange conferences, meetings, and travel
reservations for office personnel.
- Complete forms in accordance with company procedures.
- Compose, type, and distribute meeting notes, routine
correspondence, and reports.
- Greet visitors and callers, handle their inquiries,
and direct them to the appropriate persons according to their needs.
- Locate and attach appropriate files to incoming
correspondence requiring replies.
- Mail newsletters, promotional material, and other
- Maintain scheduling and event calendars.
- Make copies of correspondence and other printed
- Open, read, route, and distribute incoming mail and
other material, and prepare answers to routine letters.
- Schedule and confirm appointments for clients,
customers, or supervisors.
- Set up and maintain paper and electronic filing
systems for records, correspondence, and other material.
- Take dictation in shorthand or by machine, and
- Collect and disburse funds from cash accounts, and
keep records of collections and disbursements.
- Conduct searches to find needed information, using
such sources as the Internet.
- Coordinate conferences and meetings.
- Establish work procedures and schedules, and keep
track of the daily work of clerical staff.
- Learn to operate new office technologies as they are
developed and implemented.
- Manage projects, and contribute to committee and team
- Operate electronic mail systems and coordinate the
flow of information both internally and with other organizations.
- Order and dispense supplies.
- Prepare and mail checks.
- Provide services to customers, such as order
placement and account information.
- Review work done by others to check for correct
spelling and grammar, ensure that company format policies are
followed, and recommend revisions.
- Supervise other clerical staff, and provide training
and orientation to new staff.
- Operate office equipment such as fax machines,
copiers, and phone systems, and use computers for spreadsheet, word
processing, database management, and other applications.